Sunday, March 14, 2010

Is Animation Vulnerable?

This post is basically going to ask you whether or not you think animation is more vulnerable that real life television and movies. What I mean is, do you think that mistakes are more easily caught? Since animators have complete control over what goes on the air, does that put a microscope over everything that they do?

Let me give you an example. Everybody used to say, when the movie Gladiator came out, that there were a few mistakes in it. People told me that they were able to see people trying to carry cords out of the way and that the big over-head mic can be seen as well. I've seen that movie three or four times and I have never been able to catch it, so I'm guessing it was fixed by the time it was sent to pay-television.

But if you were to watch a certain South Park episode called (and I'm sure you'll laugh), "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina (season 9 ep. 1)," you will notice that after Kyle gets a "negroplasty" he goes back home and is talking to Stan, Cartman, and Kenny. At this point he is wearing a white and orange South Park basketball jersey, but then his dad walks outside to tell him it's time to go to the All-Star game, his jersey switches to a white and black all-star jersey. Kyle did not leave the spot he was in, and it shows the jersey switch after a cut-away. I noticed that the first time I saw the episode.

So please discuss, is animation more vulnerable than televsion?

No comments:

Post a Comment